As of Fall 2016, the English Honorary Sigma Tau Delta merged with the English Undergraduate Organization (EUGO). While taking part in EUGO’s social, service, fundraising, and outreach events, members who qualify are welcome to apply for Sigma Tau Delta’s Ohio State Chapter.
In 1924, a group of students at Dakota Wesleyan University founded a small English club. With the leadership of English professor Judson Owen, their club quickly gained national attention. They decided to name the group “Sigma Tau Delta, the Professional English Fraternity.” Four years later, 71 chapters had been formed across the country.
Now, lead by Executive Director William C. Johnson, the society has more than 750 active chapters throughout Europe, the Caribbean, the United States, and the Middle East. Sigma Tau Delta now sponsors the National English Honors Society (NEHS), a program for high school students who share a commitment for excellence in English language arts.
The Ohio State chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, Alpha Pi Iota, was created in 2008.
Make sure you meet the requirements:
- Sophomore rank or higher
- 3.0 GPA in English and 3.3 GPA overall
- Have taken 6 semester hours past English 1110
- $50 one-time payment of dues
If you meet all of these, download the application here: Sigma Tau Delta Application and turn the filled-out application in to Michael Carozza at email@example.com.
Sigma Tau Delta membership comes with several benefits including
- Access to scholarships and internships from International Sigma Tau Delta
- Ability to publish writing in Sigma Tau literary publications like The Sigma Tau Delta Rectangle and The Sigma Tau Delta Review, and a blog, WORDY by Nature.
- A pin and certificate identifying your membership